Dress Refashion Pt. 1

The promised dress refashion is finally here. Well, part one at least. Part two is still in the making! 🙂

I started off with this dress, and my lovely friend, the seam-ripper.

As you can see, the dress has two main parts, the bodice and the skirt. I basically split it in half so I could make a skirt from the bottom, which is what I’m discussing today.

Once I had just the polka-dot part, it was time to make into a skirt. This part was actually really easy. It consisted of measuring some wide black elastic to fit my waist, then I sewed it so it made a continuous circle, like you see in the next pictures.

And, yes, I was sewing it by hand. I’m weird, people. 🙂

Then, I pinned the elastic to the the skirt, making sure the right sides were matched so everything would line up, and finally sewed it together.

I had to do some adjusting as I went to make sure that all the gathers would lay straight, but it all came together quite nicely, and I’m very happy with my new skirt. 🙂 I really liked the dress, but it hit my legs at a really unflattering length, and just generally felt odd. Since I’m refashioning it though, I can still have the elements I love, but in a more flattering way. It’s a win-win! 😀

Advertisements

One thought on “Dress Refashion Pt. 1

Comments are closed.